I too learn a lot from occasionally dipping into HC...

1. 285 Posts.

I too learn a lot from occasionally dipping into HC Superannuation threads, occasionally making a useful (hopefully) contribution. Thank you all for useful comments. Super has become overly complex and it is hard to know who to trust for advice. Clearly one cannot trust many retail advisors. I too have to manage the $1.6M cap; what a difficult problem to have! I am sure many are weeping in sympathy.

So, I read lots, read a few forums including HC, get a lot of "free" newsletters, speak to advisors for free (usually only once!), go to free seminars and lunches (I know there is no such thing as a free lunch). I have one person who gives advice on structure only, which is very helpful in navigating the complex waters of super. It is a lot of work and I can see why some people hand it all over to an advisor or a fund. I now do not pay for investment advice. When I paid for advice, I felt compelled to take that advice because I had paid for it. It never turned out well, nor was it a disaster but I found that I could do just as well myself, so no more paying. So far so good, my super balance is a little higher than when I retired 6 years ago, after the compulsory withdrawls and inflation.

I would like to see a few more people reveal a bit more about the way in which they are organising their affairs. This can be done without showing $ amounts.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.