Fair to say, official pronouncements have been all over the shop...

1. 2,649 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 249
    Fair to say, official pronouncements have been all over the shop with little regard for truth or accuracy, then undermined by the nature of successive new variants.

Then, were we better off to have have caught the original Wuhan variant in preference to vaccination, for protection against alpha, or caught alpha to protect against delta?

But...not delta against omicron, better the other way round.

Any comfort that Mrna vaccines were easy to quickly develop for newer variations has been dispelled by the limits of production and logistics of supply - never mind what is happening in poorer countries, not supplied with a significant number of vaccines - and in some cases, not willing to take them anyway!

Likewise, will new vaccines provide more, or less protection against other variants, old and new?

Nobody knows, and other variations will emerge, since hundreds of millions of hosts are each busy replicating billions of viruses - and some of them suffering again with infection by a new variation created in their own cells!

Focussing on the 'spike' used by the virus as the key to attach to our cells seemed a great idea....then the mongrel virus simply cut a new key and we have omicron - resistant to the original vaccines.

Will catching omicron give us protection against other variants, which may develop different 'keys', or will old vaccines be better? Again, nobody knows.

That's the problem - it isn't for want of trying, it just cannot be reliably established.

Whether catching omicron is a 'relatively desirable' event remains to be seen, but I guess we'll find out because so many will catch it.

Losing Gladys right in the middle was a shame for NSW - at least covid-wise. She was careful and nuanced in her approach.

This new bloke made a silly mistake, presumably because he was new and keen to be 'taking the reins', although at least he had the sense to change course.

I will take the booster because I'm over 60, and it provides some protection against omicron, but it seems a lottery whether that is more sensible than catching it - not that doing that is a guarantee of anything.

It is these unknowns which should make taking, or declining, a booster a matter of personal choice.

I don't believe there are adverse effects from vax, or subsequent boosters, aside from the incontrovertible deaths which they have caused in an absolutely tragic outcome for those concerned - the antithesis of their intended purpose.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.