I'm not sure how I feel about Newman's comment. All LNP...

1. 336 Posts.
    I'm not sure how I feel about Newman's comment. All LNP commitments currently non-core?

Queensland election 2015: Campbell Newman will not guarantee projects if LNP members not elected

Campbell Newman says he cannot guarantee the Liberal National Party's big spending promises, even those with bipartisan support, if the party wins government but not the seat a project is in.

The Queensland Premier's comments came as the latest Newspoll survey showed a swing of up to 13 per cent against the LNP in three key seats across the state.

Speaking in Toowoomba this morning, Mr Newman said electorates that did not vote in an LNP member might not get the infrastructure the party had promised.

He said that even applied to communities where projects have bipartisan support, such as Townsville's new stadium.

In December, Queensland Labor promised to commit $100 million for the stadium if it formed government in 2015, while the LNP this month promised to put up to $150 million towards a new stadium and retail precinct.

Mr Newman said although he could not guarantee every commitment, every electorate in Queensland would get its fair share of support if the LNP was re-elected.

"We can't make commitments, of course we can't, nor can we bind the hands of someone from the other side of the political fence if they become the local member and that's our point," Mr Newman said.

"You only get these things if you have strong representation from an LNP member."

Mr Newman said infrastructure funding was a "matter of priorities".

"Every electorate in Queensland, I will say this, should get its fair share and they will get their fair share," he said.

"The priorities we are outlining, the ones derived from three years of listening and consultation, are things that we believe are the best projects or initiatives to take a community forward and only the LNP team can deliver them."

While in Toowoomba, Mr Newman pledged to create 2,000 new jobs in health and construction in the region over the next three to four years.

Opposition Leader Annastacia Palaszczuk said voters "cannot guarantee any of Mr Newman's promises".

"He still can't say whether he will get value for the assets that he has on the table," she said, in reference to the LNP's plan to raise funds by leasing state-owned assets.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-...ojects-if-electorates-snub-lnp-newman/6044122

** blue words are embedded links within the article.
    Last edited by jasonobrien1984: 24/01/15

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.