Hairyback, I don't claim to have much expertise on matters...

1. 46,252 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Hairyback, I don't claim to have much expertise on matters Aboriginal, but I'll briefly share some thoughts with you and in good faith.

Near my home town is a place of very special significance to Aborigines, called Skeleton Hill; I know from firsthand experience what it means to local Aborigines, but guess how much respect was shown to it by VCAT and a multinational quarrying company. IMO that sort of stuff is like rubbing salt into very deep wounds.

Although I'm 1/16 Maori my ancestry is essentially Irish, English and Scottish and my great, great grandparents arrived in Australia from the 1840s onwards. I would never pretend to be able to understand Aboriginal culture or to appreciate how much they have suffered due to British colonisation; but I think it's time we erred on the side of compassion and humanity.

In my opinion, what matters most is how others interpret comments we make in reference to Aborigines; ie. not necessarily what we actually intend with those comments [including this one].

If it's perceived that we're being intentionally disrespectful then contractions such as the one you used may be considered highly offensive and very hurtful. If it's perceived that we're trying to be less formal and friendly we may receive no feedback at all or perhaps even a warm response and a similar contraction applicable to non-Aboriginals in reference to our good selves.

To illustrate with a different example; I gather you noticed just how much trouble Tony Abbott brought on himself with his 'Irish joke', apparently by attempting to be friendly, blokey or whatever. The Irish will take almost anything from what they regard as smart-arssss Aussies because about a third of us carry Irish blood [me included], but Abbott's ancestry is English and for him those same jokes are a NO-go zone!

On forums like this one, I don't think there is any room for referring to Australia's indigenous people other than in a respectful manner; as in 'Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders' [ATSI]. Aborigines may refer to each other and their communities in a variety of ways including 'our mob' as they do on NITV programs such as the Marngrook Footy Show [which I love], such is their prerogative. But when Murdoch's mouthpieces instructed Australians to "Chuck this Mob Out!" at the start of the 2013 Election many people including yours truly were just horrified!

Referring to Aborigines according to the Land with which they identify is also considered appropriate; in my case that's not simple with all of the following peoples traced to parts of the Wodonga District: Wiradjuri, Yorta Yorta, Pangeran, Duduroa and Kwatkwat.

These days it’s pretty easy to make gaffes of the kind for which Abbott is famous, so best wishes and thanks for seeking my response!

Lapdog!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.