Abbott was in drunken stupor during key '09 GFC debate

1. 9,853 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    Silly man. Tony Abbott let his party and country down due to his drug use and gross negligence in 2009.

Tony Abbott admits sleeping through 2009 debate after boozy night

Tony Abbott: “I think I famously slept through several divisions.” Picture: AAP

• The Australian
    • 6:44PM August 24, 2017
    Tony Abbott has admitted he was asleep and unable to be roused on his office couch after a boozy night in Parliament House during votes on the then Labor government’s global financial crisis spending bills.

He laughed as he shared his memories of the night in the members only dining room which led to him missing five votes in early 2009 and said now “quite a few bottles of wine were consumed” between three MPs.

The admission comes after he dismissed questions at the time about whether he was drunk as “impertinent.”

“There was one famous occasion when Peter Costello, Kevin Andrews and I hung out rather a long time here,” he told Annabel Crabb in an episode of the ABC series The House.

“The night that the then-Rudd government was trying to bring in measures to deal with the GFC. I think quite a few bottles of wine were consumed by the three of us.

“Peter was close to leaving at that stage, and I think all of us were in a mellow and reflective mood, so the reflections went on for longer, and later, than they should have.

“The impact was rather greater than it should have been. I think I famously slept through several divisions.”

When it was put to him he was asleep and unable to be roused Mr Abbott said: “I lay down, and the next thing I knew it was morning.”

Then treasurer Wayne Swan had lashed the trio in parliament.

“The Member for Higgins (Mr Costello), as this vital debate in the history of the country is going on, is currently in the dining room,’’ he said.

“He is currently in the dining room with the Member for Menzies (Mr Andrews). He is currently in the dining room with the Member for Warringah (Mr Abbott).

“That is what they think about the strategy ... those on that side of the house.’’

The interview with Mr Abbott is due to air on September 5.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...t/news-story/e4444a6a8274e91b226180a9b3589f45

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.