I'm not sure why people think going off grid is complicated,...

1. 47,086 Posts.
    I'm not sure why people think going off grid is complicated, it's actually very simple.

Have you done it and do you host guests where they are not told to piss off at 9 pm? I remember a story of someone who was not on reticulated water hosting some guests who had a sign in the toilet: If it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down. You might get away with limited power at a BBQ if you have gas lighting which, you must admit, is cheating a little.

I wouldn't think about it with less than 5 kW/h of battery storage, and a useful diesel backup. It might have been 1980 when the heavens opened up here on new-years eve. [I remember playing a brand new pin-ball under the house with water swirling around our feet] We did not see the sun again for three weeks [fact].

That's the tropics, but you have long periods of insipid sun in the south too. Do you intend ringing Ergon every now and then asking to be connected "for just 'till the weather breaks"? Why should they humour you?

But then maybe your in-laws are nice people and don't mind hosting you.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.