There is definitely something about the heat from a combustion...

1. 35,438 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    There is definitely something about the heat from a combustion heater compared to gas or electric heating . Although the heat spread through the house is a bit variable , wood heating is super comfortable .

However having experienced the convenience and simplicity of gas central heating which I have now , I want to stick with heating and cooling at the click of a button . Also programmable so that , as you suggested , it can run during the day when I'm not home . Not to mention wood heaters can be a bit messy depending where they are located .

That said , my outdoor area will have some kind of fireplace so that I can still get my woodfire kick occasionally .

I was speaking to a solar supplier this afternoon and she informed me of the changes to electricity charges that are coming in the next 18 months . Peak , shoulder and overnight rates . To that end , they are advising there clients to west face some of their panels in order to take advantage of that shoulder period in summer for AC . Apparently peak rates could be as high as 50c per kwh . She also informed me that energy retailers are going to be able to charge those people with solar panels a fee ( 14 cents per day ) in the future .

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.