From an engineering point of view i do like the idea of the...

1. 1,917 Posts.
    From an engineering point of view i do like the idea of the geothermal and if you are intending on living there long time some extra money isn't all that bad. I just can't find much data on their efficiency. Everything i read is US based andf compares them to normal element electric heating.
    In regards to the extra panels just remember if your house is very well insulated (always use more insulation than the builder recommends) you will be able to heat and cool it during the day when no one is home and it should retain a lot of that heat with minimal input from HVAC. I run my split system at night on batteries with no problems because once the sun is down the heat load is greatly reduced.
    If i was building i would install a few splits around the place and still use a centralised wood heater that was hooked up to a solar hotwater system and maybe even a few hydronic units.. At the start of the year buy 6-7 cubes of good wood that is already split and enjoy a beautiful fire for $1000. You can also supplement that with any wood from the block that you need to get rid of anyway. My inlaws do this and for the sake of a measly $1000 it's great. Nothing beats the radiant heat from a good quality wood heater. I personally don't like the the warm rather than hot air that comes out of a split unit.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.