you could have found a more current piece to quote from. but a...

1. 41,614 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642
    you could have found a more current piece to quote from. but a suitable resource.

iatrogenic fatalities and complications have always been an issue. the problems cited in your link come down to definitions. this study, for eg., "resulting in permanent disability in 13.7% of patients and death in 4.9%; 51% of adverse events were considered to have been preventable." is impossible to ignore and would have seen hundreds of doctors imprisoned. such a high rate is an extreme number.

however I have seen some appalling results. one surgeon took a woman with terminal cancer with liver metastases and jaundice (naturally) into theatre for a laparotomy. she came out unconscious and could not be revived so they pumped her full of steroidal anti-inflammatories to keep her alive for 24 hrs so they could avoid a coroner's inquiry for her dying immediately post-op. this was in early 90s. these days theres no way he would get off with this. the governance of doctors has become much less biased in favour of doctors. (they used to blame nursing staff whenever they could manage it).

so I'm saying there is some truth in that reference, but still seems radically blown up.

note the US has been envious of the Aus system and this could certainly provide a motivation to make Aus look bad.

question everything Moggs. theres always more to any source than meets the eye. I thought you understood the principle.

Last edited by Scott th Ratbag: 25/04/24

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.