Andrew Bolt says Tony Abbott's 'pathetically stupid' knighthood...

1. 33,065 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 9
    Andrew Bolt says Tony Abbott's 'pathetically stupid' knighthood decision could be fatal to leadership
    By political reporter Andrew Greene, staff
    Updated about an hour agoThu 29 Jan 2015, 7:43am
    Andrew Bolt and Tony Abbott
    PHOTO: Andrew Bolt says Tony Abbott's knighthood decision was "stupid" (AAP)
    RELATED STORY: PM takes criticism over Philip knighthood 'on the chin'RELATED STORY: Joyce criticises Abbott over Prince Philip knighthoodRELATED STORY: Ministers defend PM over Prince Philip knighthood
    MAP: Australia
    Conservative commentator and long-time Tony Abbott supporter Andrew Bolt says the Prime Minister's decision to award a knighthood to Prince Philip could be fatal for his leadership.
    Mr Abbott has promised to consult more as the storm over his decision to award the country's highest honour to the Queen's husband continues to grow.
    Some of the Prime Minister's strongest advocates are continuing to join the chorus of criticism against him, while media baron Rupert Murdoch is demanding he sack his high-profile chief of staff Peta Credlin.
    Bolt told Macquarie Radio he thought the knighthood decision could end Mr Abbott's leadership.
    "This is just such a pathetically stupid - gosh, I didn't mean to be that strong because I actually like Tony Abbott very much - but this is just such a very, very, very stupid decision, so damaging that it could be fatal," he said.
    "I thought it was verging on fatal already but this is too much.
    "This is a friendless decision, where his friends would feel stupid defending it."
    Bolt said he decided to break his holidays and make the comments because he was "just so flabbergasted" by Mr Abbott's move.
    "You cannot think what the point is - damaging, laughing stock, helps his enemies, doesn't win over anyone - all those things are bad," he said.
    Bolt's comments follow criticism of the decision by Mr Murdoch as well as conservative commentators Alan Jones and Miranda Devine.
    In a Twitter post yesterday, Mr Murdoch called for Ms Credlin to "do her patriotic duty and resign".
    In a later tweet, he said: "Forget fairness. This change only way to recover team work and achieve so much possible for Australia. Leading involves cruel choices."
    Devine also blamed Ms Credlin for the controversial knighthood decision, while Jones said Mr Abbott "just seems to have lost the touch" with the community.
    Cormann says Abbott a 'very strong leader'
    Senior Cabinet Minister Mathias Cormann jumped to the Prime Minister's defence this morning.
    "The Prime Minister enjoys the strong support of his party room. He enjoys my very strong and unequivocal support," he said.
    Abbott's 'captain's pick'

The "captain's pick" is an inherently weak Prime Minister's way of trying to assert an authority that he no longer has, writes Tim Dunlop on The Drum.
    Senator Cormann said Mr Abbott had "learned his lesson" by taking personal responsibility for knighting Prince Philip and agreeing to consult more widely in the future.
    "He is the best person to lead the Liberal Party, to lead our country," he said.
    "He's a very strong leader, leading the charge when it comes to implementing our plan to build a stronger and more prosperous economy and to ensure that Australia is safe and secure."
    Speaking yesterday, Mr Abbott said he stood by the decision but accepted that some people disagreed with the knighthood.
    "I accept it's been a contentious decision, I absolutely accept that. I absolutely respect people's rights to disagree with my call on this," he said.
    "I respect their right to be critical, that's what you get in a democracy such as ours and I take it on the chin."
    From other news sites:
    The Age
    Andrew Bolt attacks Tony Abbott over 'pathetically stupid' Prince Philip knighthood
    The Australian yesterday at 12:16pmWed 28 Jan 2015, 12:16pm
    Prince Philip knighthood: Tony Abbott takes criticism 'on the chin'
    BBC yesterday at 2:17pmWed 28 Jan 2015, 2:17pm
    Australia PM Abbott 'to consult more' after Philip knighthood
    The Northern Star Wed at 8:41amWed 28 Jan 2015, 8:41am
    Newman attacks Abbott's knighting of Prince Philip
    News.com.au yesterday at 11:04amWed 28 Jan 2015, 11:04am
    Tony Abbott's friends in partyroom and media desert him

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-29/andrew-bolt-tony-abbott-philip-knighthood/6053446

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.