Andrew O’Keefe stifles political debate on extremists

1. 7,659 Posts.
    Sunrise’s Andrew O’Keefe and columnist Rita Panahi go head-to-head over Islamic extremists debate

Video is here

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...xtremists-debate/story-fnpilxz1-1227181948463

SUNRISE stand-in host Andrew O’Keefe has gone head-to-head with Herald Sun columnist Rita Panahi live on air this morning.

Debating on the topic of Islamic extremists following her opinion piece titled Stifling debate empowers radicals, Panahi was cut off by the co-cost as the pair exchanged a bitter war of words on the hot topic.

“We need to start discussing intelligently the issues we have with the Muslim community,” Panahi said.

“What can we do in the Muslim community to bring them into the mainstream even more.”
    O’Keefe cut the writer off: “But we’ve already been discussing this! We’ve been discussing this for a long time Rita.”

“Every time a fundamentalist Christian in the United States bombs an abortion clinic or bombs a synagogue do we hold all the Christians in the world accountable for that?”

Panahi responded: “Andrew that’s such a nonsensical argument.

O’Keefe refuted her statement as Radio 4BC’s Patrick Condren was awkwardly waiting for his input.

“No it’s not Rita. You’re holding the majority responsible for a minority,” O’Keefe said.
    But Panahi didn’t back down.

“We’ve got to stop doing what you just did and pretending like Islam is like any other religion as far as being behind incidences of terror.”

Condren then weighed in on the debate suggesting he was on O’Keefe’s side of the argument before discussing the Muslim burqa.

“Who wouldn’t find the burqa confronting?” Panahi interrupted.

“You don’t find a woman with her entire face other than her eyes concealed, confronting?”

Condren continued: “I don’t find it confronting in any way, shape or form.”

“I’m not that narrow-minded.”

Panahi responded: “I don’t find that narrow-minded at all in fact if you value the rights of women you’d have issues with the burqa.”
    RITA PANAHI: ISLAM YOU HAVE A SERIOUS PROBLEM

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...xtremists-debate/story-fnpilxz1-1227181948463

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.