another perspective on Fraser Anning's speech

1. 3,737 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 10
    Those that like Fraser Anning’s speech should consider this point of view - quoted below
    Even though I was born in Australia and my parents encouraged me to embrace being Australian, even speaking English at home to help me “assimilate”, I was regularly told to “go back to your own country”. I was called a “ching-chong” and even elbowed in the street by an elderly man who called me a “f**ken Jap”

Yes, I’ve been one of those Asians harassed on public transport for no other reason than how I looked. I’m lucky because I can speak English and have been able to stick up for myself but others are not so fortunate.

This includes my mum, who’s endured aggressive rants, including from a “white” Aussie male for scratching his car in a carpark. She just happened to park in the space next to his after it happened and was an easy target for his anger because she couldn’t fight back.

When I was growing up I thought that if I was just a little bit more “Australian”, I would finally fit in. I’ve drunk every brand of Aussie beer you can imagine: VB, XXXX, Carlton Draught, Crown Lager, Coopers and even Fosters. Did this help me? No.

I’ve got a Weber in my backyard. Does this make me Aussie enough? No.
    I’m a fluent English speaker with an Aussie accent but does this get me in to Club Australia? No.
    I work in Australia, pay my taxes, donate to charities and have eaten my share of smashed avo on toast. My mum started volunteering at a local hospital when she retired. My grandmother was a strict Christian who read the bible every morning and night, and prayed before every meal. It’s still not good enough.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/wor...h/news-story/eed49eef7250c38bfb73b8cb82811906

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.