Ahh you have a different point of view good to chatThe $11.00...

1. 942 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    Ahh you have a different point of view good to chat

The $11.00 p/h was the average wage still have the pay slips $ to be more accurate $ 11.40 and mind you I wasn't a labourer I was supervisor on night shift which added 30% loading at the time (my choosing in order to pay bills.)
    let's see with the new generation
    Netflix costs $10 p/ month for single device but I do believe it doesn't work without internet $ 60 to 90+ dollars per month and these day most have Netflix on multiple devices so $15 per month so now we are up to $75 to $95

Let's not stop there let's see
    Uber eats if used once a week ends up being $30 per/ month
    The take out its self let assume once a week $20 (very conservative) $80/month
    now let's add the today's standard of living as these expenses were not every day things in 80's and 90's
    Ducted heating as opposed to a an in wall space heater for one room (again conservative) cost to run a month $120 p/m
    Air conditioning as opposed to none (again conservative) cost to run a month $ 100 p/m
    Mobile phone as opposed to land lines these days everyone has to have the latest gadget (again conservative) $80 p/m including handset payments
    The list goes on and it's reached $ 500 + a month already.
    Entertainment let's see
    Foxtel $60 per month
    iPads need wifi or mobile data $ 50 per month
    The list goes on .... now $600+ a month
    House price were cheaper in our days yes
    I bought my first house for approximately $200 thousand back then my interest rate was 17.5% , the interest alone was $33 thousand with a 5% deposit
    In comparison to wages annually at $24000 including shift loading,without multiple Jobs , a tight budget with no spending on bells and whistles , occasional week end work and both of us working it would have been impossible to make repayment.
    we moved in with two bean bags a small black and white tv on a upside down milk crate and a mattress on the floor for our first 2 years
    then worked our way piece by piece as most did to add furniture

The point of the argument I was presenting is today's generation is a consumerist generation they want their luxuries as well as the house and new car up front.

Today a house could cost any wear from $ 650,000 and up depending on where you purchase
    The average hourly rate is about $ 28 per hour with salaries on $50+ thousand annually
    interest rates are at all time low 3+%
    Without the sacrifices of a tight budget and working multiple jobs and 2 people working its would prove impossible its the same boat ride in a different time.
    what is the difference is our generation learnt to do without something this generation will have to do if they want to own a home.

you may not agree but I see things differently as it is more a behavioural change that is required

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.