WBC 1.15% $26.56 westpac banking corporation

Banana Smoothies and Poor Management

1. 123 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 19
    Is anyone else of the opinion as I am that Westpac should shut up shop as a bank and get into selling banana smoothies as they did such a great job selling the public on how a banking compares to selling banana smoothies.

Since this in 2009 they have tread water with a market cap of ~$77Billion vs ~$75Billion today. Back then they were the equal of CBA after purchasing St George, today they are less half the size. (CBA ~$162Billion)
    As a Westpac customer it is clearly evident where they have lost the plot. Try and borrow money from Westpac and they will only do so if you have assets (I.e. brick & mortar) to leverage, taking on risk and pricing loans accordingly is non-existent. This a clearly lazy banking and they are the LAZY bank.

I was of the opinion that banking was about risk mitigation and that personal and business loans should be assessed and priced on a risk basis, with higher margins for more risky loans, of course within pre-defined parameters
    Unfortunately, this is not the case and Westpac is so risk adverse that it has forgotten what banking is about, is it not time for a rethink of leadership at the top?

If you deal with CBA you will note there approach is more tailored, incorporates a little risk, is priced accordingly and as such profits and it market cap has been rewarded accordingly. Why I am still banking with Westpac, frankly no idea.

Not even Westpac would lend Westpac money to start a Banana Smoothie stall based on value appreciation, unless of course they mortgage all their properties and they may qualify, nah to risky.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WBC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$26.56
Change
-0.310(1.15%)
Mkt cap ! $92.14B
Open High Low Value Volume
$26.60 $26.66 $26.35 $111.9M 4.225M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 53600 $26.55

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$26.57 1000 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 24/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$26.55
  Change
-0.310 ( 0.98 %)
Open High Low Volume
$26.59 $26.66 $26.35 1581541
Last updated 15.59pm 24/05/2024 ?
WBC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.