Bob Carr, page-2

1. 17,184 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 316
    Lost his marbles?? maybe not.

I could be wrong but part of me wonders if Widodo's inexperience hasn't found him caught between a rock and a hard place. Perhaps the no compromise stance that he has taken to look tough has blown up in his face. Maybe he badly miscalculated Australia's strong response and had not thought through all the consequences that might come with that. Perhaps the biggest problem for him now is that he can't back out for fear of looking weak........

.......but what if he could go to the Indonesian people and say "see what I did.....seeing though I am such a hard ass I have all these western nations doing back flips to help keep drugs out of Indonesia. This is what we really wanted and not to necessarily shoot people. We will exchange the lives of Chan and Sukumaran as a good will gesture as we put this new plan into place"

That way he doesn't look weak, Chan and Sukumaran don't get shot and the Indo-Australian relationship doesn't have to be destroyed. Everyone wins.

Granted it is a long shot but if I were Chan or Sukumaran right now I would be up for anything that had a chance of working.
    Last edited by NineLives: 06/03/15

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.