I happened on this article which is a delve into some of the...

1. 15,962 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 134
    I happened on this article which is a delve into some of the lesser known or unknown books of the period 1900-1950.
    Quite amusing.

"...a Biographical Dictionary of Eccentric and Forgotten Authors, say, or perhaps a Reference Guide to Bad Writers 1900–1950. I had the pleasure of writing about many such eccentrics. There was the febrile and prolific poet Sister Mary Madeleva, whom a contemporary called “a sort of Edna St. Vincent Millay of the Catholic Church,” without the sex. There was Charles Fort, a critic of scientific methodology who assembled from clippings held in hundreds of shoe boxes in his apartment in the Bronx dubious compilations attesting to spontaneous human combustion, suspensions of gravity, stigmata, and showers of stones and insects. There was the sonneteer Merrill Moore, who was known to compose his poems while waiting at traffic lights and who would send his editors and publishers a few thousand sonnets and have them select a manageable number for publication. There was Edgar Saltus, a committed decadent and aesthete, who called one of his works “the gloomiest and worst book ever published” and said of his first book (a biography of Balzac), “being utterly detestable, it was widely praised”; and there was William Hornaday, a zoologist who wanted to exterminate wolves."

https://quillette.com/2024/02/21/beginning-in-gladness-ending-in-madness/

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.