I split the new ones out so I don't distort my data. When a new...

1. 1,593 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6
    I split the new ones out so I don't distort my data. When a new plant is added the Scada data records the DUID reference but there is no output. Over time the plant starts generating and it gradually ramps up to full capacity. It takes a few months so if it isn't segregated the overall capacity factor is unfairly understated.
    This is the Talem Bend Solar Farm in SA and shows the commissioning process.
    https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/1506/1506000-dc977525c5be0d5623c8fcd667b2b1cb.jpg
    Over time as commissioning is completed the output will increase to the rated output and then it can be moved. If this is not done the numbers are just a mix of numbers that cannot be reconciled. I think that is a limit of the other charts you have shown because they don't relate to capacity.

As we add more renewables the output will obviously increase because there is more installed capacity however it doesn't mean that it is efficient, eventually (as in SA) the network is saturated and then needs curtailment/storage or extra transmission. That is what I am interested in and the answer is somewhere in the data.

The opennem is very good overview, I don't think we could get curtailment in it.

The quantity of storage required is not practical imo, Also the actual capacity factor is lower in my selected period which means the LCOE is not representative of Australian conditions. If the LCOE assumptions are not reflective of actual then the storage is also understated in the models because the actual cannot be achieved. Over time this theory can be tested which is a bit of a challenge.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.