Jennifer Marohasy is feeling curious at Rosslyn Bay. ·...

1. 26,854 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 21

Jennifer Marohasy is feeling curious at Rosslyn Bay.

Update. Water Temperatures Near Great Keppel Island.
    Some of the worst coral bleaching has apparently occurred at Great Keppel Island and has been attributed to unusually warm ocean temperatures. I’m planning to visit the island this weekend and see for myself. In the meantime, I’ve been searching for water temperature data to understand the extent of the problem.
    AIMS has provided the New York Times with an underwater snapshot of bleached corals from Great Keppel Island, but apparently not any temperature data. They have some, and I posted the extent of this at my blog yesterday, some charts of monthly data for Square Rocks.
    This water temperature data, from December 2009 until March 2024, is incomplete, including for some of this last summer. There is a more complete time series for air temperatures that I also posted. I am confident that these series have caught the peak of this last summer’s warm cycle, and these charts indicate that this last summer has not been particularly warm contrary to media reports – at least at Great Keppel Island considering the AIMS air and water temperature data.
    I’ve also looked around for more information, and found water temperature data for Rosslyn Bay, that is just across from Great Keppel Island. This time series that is measured by the Australian Baseline Sea Level Monitoring Project is twice as long, beginning in 1991, and complete for this last summer.
    Consistent with the AIMS data for Square Rocks, it does NOT indicate that this last summer has been particularly warm. It shows a distinct seasonal trend; it does not show global warming.
    So that we don’t lose touch, consider subscribing for my weekly e-news by clicking here: https://jennifermarohasy.com/subscribe/

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/6111/6111816-1d57082587bf91d543d8bbe3070f0217.jpg

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.