Costs involved in buying and selling

1. Enn
    1,463 Posts.
    I haven't bought or sold any property in more than 20 years so am out of touch with costs.

I'm considering buying a property which is over my back fence, shortly coming up for sale when the owner goes into a nursing home. I don't want to actually own the place (my days of having tenants are well and truly over), but want to get rid of a massive gum tree which for the last decade has created huge problems for me. The owner has always refused to even discuss it with me.

I understand stamp duty will apply at about double the rate it would were I intending to live in the property.
    Then there would be commission to estate agent to sell plus any renovation that would be needed to bring the place up to selling condition. And all the usual legal fees.

With a cash offer, I'd anticipate getting the property a bit below market value, particularly as the son is coming out from England for just a few weeks to organise everything.

I know it sounds bizarre to go to such an extent to get rid of a tree, but the impact of this huge thing shedding thousands of leaves into my pool, throughout the garden, into the guttering is a considerable ongoing stress, not to mention the danger of a large limb crashing over the fence with the prevailing wind.

If there are things I've not thought of, I'd be appreciative of people pointing these out.

With thanks.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.