I think that many/most doctors see thenselves as a cut above...

1. 6,721 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    I think that many/most doctors see thenselves as a cut above everyone else, because they have been told that all their lives.
    From being a bright student to being in top 1/2%of HSC marks to seeing the pride on their parent's faces when they are accepted into med school to idol worshipping their professors. Then comes the residency, a year of 90+hours a week, all nighters, 48 hrs without sleep(is a truckie allowed to do that???) etc as an initiation and personal transformation.
    So of course they will side with the medical profession as part of a group identity. They have to support each other, and cover for each other because who knows when any individual doctor might be in the poo....malpractice, bad outcomes for even innocuous reasons, big pharma blunders that they should/could have known about etc. Add to that most of them aren't their own bosses anymore, simply toilers for corporate medicine. Then there's AHPRA and various laws around Australia to gag doctors.
    I doubt most saw how they'd end up 20 or 30 years down the track from their starry-eyed med student days, conformist, afraid, and incurious.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.