Hi Pintohoo and all, I spent a few years in the early eighties...

1. 3,971 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 185
    Hi Pintohoo and all,

I spent a few years in the early eighties working on tower cranes etc, in Brisbane and the Gold coast as a fitter I often wondered about the wisdom of building on sand! I often saw bundles of reinforcing bars and mesh sheets red rusty from the salt air being hoisted up to the floors above and wondered if that rust would continue inside the concrete or miraculously disappear.

Having observed some of the hardware used for fixing glass balustrades and such like I take care about applying my full weight to lean over such things.

Over the years I have raised questions at BBQ’s etc. and been told not to worry the architects have it all in hand. Yet the halfwits that designed my building at Southbank in Brisbane where I’m on the eleventh floor made one slip. The original lifts in all three towers had to have the back walls cut out and a door fitted as the original lift could not accommodate and ambulance gurney with a patient flat out on it! I’m not sure if the original design required the patient to be strapped to the gurney and be stood up in the lift or what.

From an engineering point of view, I think nuclear energy is terrific; however, on the other hand I ask can I trust my fellow man!

Cheers and very best regards: Andy

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.