Agree, any reduction in crime is good to see. I'm going link two...

1. 336 Posts.
    Agree, any reduction in crime is good to see.

I'm going link two articles (source: their ABC) on this - happy for you to link yours for your claim.

Queensland election 2015: Have crime rates dropped in the state under Campbell Newman's government?

Law and order is one of the elements playing into the Queensland election campaign, with both sides of politics using it as a tool to woo voters.

The LNP Government has spent the last year promoting a drop in the crime rate, but does an expanded look at the figures back up that claim?

Speaking to the ABC on January 6, Premier Campbell Newman said Queensland's crime rate had dropped considerably.

"They [Queenslanders] have seen crime rates, things like assaults, robberies and car thefts, drop by 20 to 25 per cent," he said.

"Those are real achievements - there's more to be done."

The overall crime rate in 2014 fell about 2 per cent.

That includes a 4.5 per cent drop in the rate of crimes against the person (eg rape, assault, homicide) and a 9.5 per cent drop in property crimes but an increase of 12.5 per cent in so-called other and miscellaneous crimes, such as extortion and trafficking.
    In the last 12 years, the overall crime rate dropped about 22 per cent.

A spokesman for the Premier's office said some examples of what Mr Newman was referring to compare the 2011 year - Labor's last full year in power - to 2014 and were based on police districts:
    • Townsville: robbery - 27 per cent
    • Gold Coast: unlawful entry (break and enter) - 42 per cent
    • Logan: unlawful use of a motor vehicle (car theft) - 25 per cent
    • Ipswich: assault - 19 per cent
    'Politicisation of law and order'

Professor Kerry Carrington, from Queensland University of Technology, said crime statistics were complex and often used as political tools.

"Unfortunately we've seen the politicisation of law and order in Australia for probably a couple of decades," she said.

Professor Carrington said highlighting the most favourable crime rates in certain cities did not give a true picture of rates across the state.

"That's not an accurate generalisation," she said.

"There may be some specific crimes in specific areas that may have seen those very dramatic drops.

"There would be different explanations as to rises and falls for each and every one."

Politicians, including Mr Newman, also pointed to crime rates in their own electorates, when the statistics were only compiled per police district.

In 2012, the Queensland Police Service created an interactive map to show crimes per suburb.

In 2013, the Queensland Government collated all available crime statistics on another interactive website.

The following table shows the difference between the number of offences recorded during the ALP's last term (April 2009 to December 2011), and the LNP's current term (April 2012 to December 2014).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-...5-crime-rates-dropped-campbell-newman/6009282

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Queensland crime rate down 2.1 pc, well short of figure touted by Campbell Newman and Ian Stewart

An analysis of Queensland Police Service statistics shows the crime rate in Queensland dropped 2.1 per cent in the past financial year.

It is part of a long-term downward trend in crime and is thanks largely to a significant decrease in property crime in 2013-14.

But it is well short of the figure used by Premier Campbell Newman in the past week.

"Crime has dropped across the board by around 10 per cent and you saw the Police Commissioner saying that last week," Mr Newman said on Monday.

The QPS data shows that in 2013-14 there were 436,720 offences recorded. That compares to 437,465 the year before.

Allowing for population growth it translates to a 2.1 per cent drop in the crime rate.

Police record crimes in three broad categories: offences against the person, offences against property, and other offences.
    Ultimately there is an overall crime rate for the whole of the state for the whole of the year. But what I've been very clear to do is make it very clear that our reported crime... is down significantly.
    Police Commissioner Ian Stewart

Analysis shows that last financial year offences against the person - which include crimes such as assault, robbery and rape - fell 6.3 per cent.

Offences against property - which include unlawful entry, stealing and fraud - decreased 11.3 per cent.

But other offences - which include drugs, weapons, traffic and breaching domestic violence orders - increased 10.4 per cent.

Criminologist Professor Kerry Carrington, who is head of Queensland University of Technology’s School of Justice, said there were dramatic changes within crime types but described the overall drop of 2.1 per cent as "minor".

"If you have a look at the long-term crime trends of reported crime in Queensland you'll see that the significant drop in reported crime occurred in the decade to 2011," she said.
    "After that it’s really just been quite stable."
    Police Commissioner hailed 'milestone' figure

The Premier's reference to the Police Commissioner, Ian Stewart, relates to an article published in The Courier-Mail on July 15.

"I don't want to crow about it but when I started last year I said I was hopeful we would get a 10 per cent reduction in crime, that is the reported crime," Mr Stewart told The Courier-Mail.

"I think we’re going to exceed that and quite honestly that is a real hallmark and milestone figure."

Mr Stewart said he was excluding "other offences" in his comments on crime.

"What I've been very clear on every time I've talked about crime stats this year is that reported crime is down significantly and other crime is up significantly," he said.

"Reported crime is in two categories, crimes against the person and property crime, they’re the reported crimes so the ones we get reports on and we go out and follow up the investigation of those.

"Ultimately there is an overall crime rate for the whole of the state for the whole of the year.

"But what I've been very clear to do is make it very clear that our reported crime, so the crime where mums and dads are the victims out there and they report that to us, that is down significantly."
    'You have to look at the whole database'

But Professor Carrington said excluding "other offences" is cherry picking.
    "You cannot say that," she said.

"If you look at a criminal justice database of reported offences you have to look at the whole database. When you look at the whole database there’s only been a very minor drop of around 2 per cent."

Mr Stewart said the increase in "other offences" relates to "increased police effort".

Criminologist Mark Lauchs said the doubling of the number of reports of extortion was a sign the bikie crackdown is having an effect.

"When we see a rise in people reporting extortion that’s an indicator there's a public faith that they can report without consequences," Dr Lauchs said.

"So that in itself is a very significant issue and it's a sign that something has happened to change public perception of crime.
    "Whether it's the bikie laws or the police crackdown is one of those things we’ll argue about for decades."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-...of-cherry-picking-on-crime-rate-stats/5626414

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.