Some people try to understand the world through the process of...

1. 15,702 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 444
    Some people try to understand the world through the process of discovery. Others just blame everything on the all powerful secret elite.

I genuinely wonder what the difference is between us? There's got to be something going on. I used to joke that we maybe lie in different parallel realities but I am now starting to think it isn't far removed from the truth. It feels like the act of "believing" in something definitely brings it to life in our brains in a way that is so convincing that we are confounded by other people with different belief structures.

I see this happening a bit in my personal religion, football. One example is teams who have only average players but who are compelled by their managers to believe they are capable of winning their league. In some cases they almost forget how to lose, go week after week playing as though they are invincible. In some cases they even win a title. Then one day the belief goes and suddenly they become pedestrian. A season later they are relegated.

It's a really strong activator.

Then there's the other side of it,the commentary. One pundit suggests that a team is in crisis, suddenly the half the world is in collective agreement that a crisis is being played out. Come the end of the month the team wins accolades because the data shows they are the best performing team on stats.

Somehow reality manages to play out to perfectly reinforce the opposing belief structures.

Im really fascinated by it all now. Flat Earth is obviously the pinnacle of it all, given the ludicrous amount of denial involved in believing it. Eventually our algorithms lead us inexorably to certain destinations and for conspiracy types FE is the summit. Reading through some of the FE groups on Facebook has really been an eye opener.

The world went into quite a schism during the covid crisis and the internet was like adding jet fuel to a fire.

I dont post any of this to mock anyone, I am genuinely curious to chat with people who are interested more in understanding how this schism functions, as opposed to which side is "true".

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.