SDL 0.00% 0.6¢ sundance resources limited

death of iron ore exaggerated

1. 2,471 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 194
    more to read while we are waiting for good news.

PUBLISHED: 0 hour 1 MINUTE AGO | UPDATE: 0 hour 0 MINUTE AGO

...Stone me if you must, but I reckon the alarmist headlines about iron ore are a little over done. We’re currently trading at a little under $US100 a tonne, a long way above the lows of $US60 a tonne in 2009. Also, this is a thinly traded and volatile commodity, one affected by all kinds of changeable micro-economic as well as macro forces. Spikes of 5 per cent-10 per cent are commonplace.

The fundamental backdrop:
    The macro story: Growth in demand for iron ore has been falling while supply has started increasing at a greater rate - Chinese steel mills have been demanding less ore, while the Australian miners have been supplying more. This is most definitely a short-term headwind for the price. And yet demand is not drying up either. Far from it, Chinese demand for foreign iron ore is still growing year-on-year on an absolute basis - steel production is expected to peak around 2026.

The micro story: The catalyst for the recent fall in the iron ore price was an exogenous shock. Chinese State-controlled banks changed their loan requirements to the steel mills - effectively requiring 20 per cent repayments on outstanding debts – in a push to make the industry more efficient, and to drive out less productive and high polluting operators.

If iron ore could talk, it would probably say: “Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.” ....

http://www.afr.com/p/markets/death_of_iron_ore_exaggerated_Liegaa7ZPYzUJfE2MHCioK

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SDL (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.