I watched this video (twice) and it's approach corresponds very...

1. 27,016 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    I watched this video (twice) and it's approach corresponds very closely with the theme of a mission in Cape Town, South Africa called "Come Alive... 85" in 1985.
    The theme was as is in the case of this video that repentance is not good enough unless it is accompanied by a belief in Jesus.

We were told in 1985 that we are saved by grace alone because we can't save ourselves - the saving grace was paid for by Jesus ("tetelestai": completed or paid in full).

So, no matter how much we turn our lives around to be kind, altruistic, loving to our neighbour (which includes our enemies), tolerant etc we need to also believe in Jesus to receive salvation.

Failure to do so will result in eternal damnation.

In my view this interpretation waters down price paid by Jesus. It denies that Jesus paid the price in full. If the price were paid in full it would not require our further contribution - eg holding certain beliefs.

I think that there is a better way of looking at it.

If we include passages that have it that nothing can separate us from the love of God, God fashions all hearts, all will be saved etc coupled with Jesus having payed the price in full, a more sensible interpretation is that God provides universal salvation.

This interpretation assumes that God has the power to turn everybody (including me!) so that the price paid on the cross is indeed paid in full.

Many theists will kick against this interpretation. In my opinion the reason is that it takes power out of their hands and puts it (the power) solely in the hands of God.

In the meantime let's be kind, altruistic, loving to our neighbour (which includes our enemies), tolerant etc not for the reward that we perceive we will earn but because it's just the way that we are.

I offer this alternative to demonstrate how easy it is to come with different views taking only scripture into account.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.