Nice backyard, Selma :) I am having some interesting chats with...

1. 2,392 Posts.
    Nice backyard, Selma

I am having some interesting chats with some of my aged care clients. Not all of them, but some are still very much on the ball at ages 80-98 and keen to talk to anyone who might show even some vague interest in what their thoughts are (which is almost nobody, since there is zero respect for old peeps in First World countries like Oz).
    One lady in her 80s made an interesting comment at my last visit. I have been talking to her about my personal circumstances (this probably being my last paid job before retirement, wife not well, going to Tassie in a few months for another look-see at possible retirement places, my increasing horror at what I see happening in advanced countries). She made the point that what changed for her over the years were her "wants/needs".

Complicated subject, but I hear this a lot from younger people: "I need this and that." Nope, you don't. You "want" it - different What happened to my client was that her "wants" declined and changed. Her "needs" were never that much, so now she and her hubby do trips on a regular basis (just back from time in country Victoria); they are home-bottling demons (beer, chutney, jam); they have a vegie patch; they publish a local newsletter etc. They have turned their backs on a lot of the "noise" and are focusing on things which have value in their lives. Inspirational stuff.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.