Prime1, while I admit this is only one company, I believe their...

1. 1,839 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 272
    Prime1, while I admit this is only one company, I believe their recent sales announcements are a good indication of the current state of the market for Li-ion Energy Storage Devices;
    1 - 23/7/14 SAFT sale to Kauai (4th largest Hawaiian island) to complement 12MV solar energy park.
    2 - 11/6/2014 SAFT provide ALSTOM with 1MW storage facility.
    3 - 24/2/2014 SAFT announces satellite contract (already having 1.35MW operational capacity in space).
    4 - 19/2/2014 SAFT announce contract to provide 10*Li-ion batteries for use in Oil & Gas (combined 5MW).
    5 - 13/1/2014 SFAT announce contract for a combined power plant and solar farm in La Reunion for 9MW.
    6 - 23/12/2013 SAFT announce contract to provide 32 battery systems to Macau.
    7 - 19/6/2013 SAFT announces Pellworm 20MW.

I've only included the announcements for Energy Storage Devices of significant capacity. There's also a large number of contracts for Military (Army, Navy & Air-force individually), rail, oil & gas and a really fascinating contract with the German government who are providing subsidies to local households with PV instillations to install Li-ion batteries to regulate and draw out the flow of their roof systems.

http://www.saftbatteries.com/press/press-releases

My point is, I believe it has already begun. It will only increase from here.

Every system has advantages and disadvantages, as with everything, however it's a question of which one is economically and commercially available at the time. Li-ion appears to have the lead and contracts.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.