ADO 2.63% 3.7¢ anteotech ltd

Examining ADO battery

1. 89 Posts.
    The battery space is overcrowded. Every few months I read a breakthrough about battery tech yet few of these make into real batteries.
    I found the slide about ADO battery vs. conventional Li-ion battery so vague. It left me with many questions.

1)There are so many types of conventional Li-ion batteries (oxides, phosphates etc) and their spec are all different. Why didn’t they put units in their graphs? For example, instead of showing a graph of capacity improvement x7, they could put units on the axis so we can read 700Wh/kg vs. 100Wh/kg.

2)Power density vs. energy density. They are totally different aspects of battery. It is easy to improve the former but extremely difficult to improve the latter. Let’s say we have 1g of cathode material Cobalt oxide CoO2. By simply making it into CoO2 nanoparticles we create a lot of surface area. Large amount of Li ions can go in & out through this surface area per unit time thus make battery charge/discharge faster. Battery can release more energy per unit time hence higher power.

But the amounts of Li can be stored in 1g CoO2 are the same doesn’t matter we use 1g nanoparticles or 1g of normal CoO2. Li ion storage will be saturated when LiCoO2 compound is formed thus no energy density improvement. Unless we change the battery chemistry entirely by replacing CoO2 with other materials that can store a lot more Li.

So coming to the question about ADO glue, does it improve power density or energy density? If it improved power density (very likely because MixnGo only plays with surface area) I am not overly impressed. Many breakthroughs have helped improve charge/discharge by much higher rates. For example, this group has made batteries that can be charged to 70% in 2 minutes.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141013090449.htm

Could ADO glue improve energy density of battery? Unlikely, commercial LiCo batteries already reached more than 50% of theoretical energy density value. 7 times improvement will exceed the theoretical limits.
    http://powerelectronics.com/power-electronics-systems/li-ion-battery-sets-record

3) Could the ADO vs. conventional Li-ion comparison refer to anode materials only? Maybe. Li metal & silicon anodes can store > 10 times more charge than graphite. However, it takes 2 to tango. Battery needs both cathode and anode. The energy density of the whole pack is limited by the lesser one. Battery can only be fully charged/discharged when one of its cathode or anode is fully filled/emptied with Li-ions. So the energy density problem always comes from cathode materials, i.e LiCo.

Imagine we need to transport water between 2 containers 1 big & 1 small, with capacity 10L & 1L respectively. It doesn’t matter how big is the pipe connecting 2 containers and the size of the bigger container. The useful amount of water can be transported is limited by small one, which is 1L.

Graph below shows capacity vs. voltage, x axis (mAh/g) vs. y axis voltage (V). Note that scale on x axis for cathode & anode are different.

Obviously, graphite as anode already has capacity (400mAh/g) exceeding what can be offered from cathode materials. In a conventional Li-ion battery cell, graphite anode weight accounts for <15% of the total cell. Despite the hype surrounding new materials for anode, e.g silicon nanowires, the true improvements from them are hardly significant.

4)All new battery technologies add costs. The most important metric is $/Kwh. Unlike Moore’s law for computer, computing power doubles every 18 months. Energy density of Li-ion batteries grows at merely 7%/year for the last 20 yrs. At this moment in time Tesla do not see much more improvement can be made for Li-ion batteries. They rather go for production scale to reduce costs than new technologies. Tesla’s cathode material is LiNiCo and anode is graphite.

In conclusion, it is most likely that ADO glue helped improve power density of conventional Li-ion batteries. However, ADO glue has to compete with many other technologies which can do the same if not better (including in-house developments by battery makers). Another factor is cost vs. improvement. Tesla see today conventional Li-ion batteries as good enough, their priority seems to be all about cutting costs and scaling up production at this point. For the moment, I am not convinced with ADO claims yet. I want to see more hard fact numbers from the company.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ADO (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
3.7¢
Change
-0.001(2.63%)
Mkt cap ! $81.26M
Open High Low Value Volume
3.8¢ 3.8¢ 3.5¢ $28.19K 781.6K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 190000 3.6¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
3.7¢ 399079 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.59pm 29/03/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
3.6¢
  Change
-0.001 ( 2.70 %)
Open High Low Volume
3.6¢ 3.6¢ 3.6¢ 156513
Last updated 14.38pm 29/03/2024 ?
ADO (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.