Fairfax leading jihad to bring down Abbott Government,...

1. 7,016 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 52
    Fairfax leading jihad to bring down Abbott Government, Immigration Minister Peter Dutton says

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-...-to-bring-government-down-dutton-says/6739158
    By political reporters Susan McDonald and Tom Iggulden
    Updated about an hour agoTue 1 Sep 2015, 3:50pm

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has lashed out at Fairfax Media for leading what he calls a "jihad" against the Government.

Mr Dutton has complained about Fairfax publishing stories on divisions in senior ranks and said he had a "fair idea" which ministers were leaking, although he refused to name them.
    Mr Dutton said there was a "huge move by Fairfax at the moment to try and bring the Government down".

Key points:
    • Peter Dutton accuses Fairfax of anti-Government "jihad"
    • Says the ABC is helping Fairfax
    • Dutton also calls for leakers to be sacked
    • Shorten echoes Abbott line from 2013 in response
    "I think regardless of what Tony Abbott does, Fairfax will say it's bad," he told the ABC's AM program.
    Mr Dutton accused some journalists of overstepping their responsibilities, adding Fairfax was "being helped by the ABC".

"They aren't supposed to be political players, they're supposed to be objective reporters of the news and I think many of them have morphed into frustrated politicians," he said.

Mr Dutton stepped up his criticism on Sky Television:
    "The reality is that there is a bit of a jihad being conducted by Fairfax at the moment, [it's] hard to get a good story up in Fairfax, [they're] publishing stories without checking with my office, stories that are factually incorrect."
    Last edited by etherazer: 01/09/15

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.