Have a go at answering the questions rather than just make...

1. 21,139 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 178
    Have a go at answering the questions rather than just make assumptions.

I know, because of the way scripture is written, mostly only assumptions can be made. This is why I used the word espoused. I never said John was the disciple Jesus loved.
    I make this assumption on considering a couple of things.

20 Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them. (This was the one who had leaned back against Jesus at the supper and had said, “Lord, who is going to betray you?”)

Consider the feelings one would have who would lean against Jesus in that sense. Recall Jesus's healing power of just touching His clothing as compared to leaning lovingly against Him.

24 This is the disciple who testifies to these things and who wrote them down. We know that his testimony is true.
    25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

Now this appears to be a self admittance but indirectly that John was that disciple who leaned against Jesus.
    And as narrated, John was the disciple who received the Revelation.
    He saw the Father. He saw Jesus and John was in the Spirit. Those influences are not presented with any other disciple.
    This is why the gospel of John is mostly the basis for trinity doctirne. The opening especially.

Make of my assumptions what you will.

John or rather the author(s) of the John Gospel used that expression for some unclear reason.

Not absolutely clear, I agree. Many assumptions can be made.

Are you suggesting Jesus didn't also love his other disciples ?

Not in the slightest. Refer to my assumptions. They are as you say, assumptions. Peter, as narrated, recognised a disciple as one whom Jesus loved.

Goodness don't let ppm hear that. After all didn't Jesus love Peter so much he supposedly entrusted to him the care of his future Church. Mind you he also called him Satan.

That's going off in a tangent. I could go with some assumptions there as well.

Not to mention the wisest and most favoured of all. Mary Magdalene. Before the misogynists practically removed her from the scriptures.

More tangents. More assumptions.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.