SYT 0.00% 0.1¢ syntonic limited

Thanks Acca yes, you are right regarding not to avoid the...

1. 3,529 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 249
    Thanks Acca

yes, you are right regarding not to avoid the ethical debate in general. I just wanted to leave it 'for later,' as I know that unless we sought out the practical facts first, then ethics can get quite muddled. But of course I'm hardly doing that myself when I invoke 'free choice' in my description of using Freeway, as freedom is an essential ingredient in moral decision making. But alas, my purpose was for practical reasons rather than ethical. Anyway, carrying on.

Just to be clear regarding me wanting to identify the practical points of sponsored data before the ethical, which I probably don't need to do for you as I see that your insights know the difference, is because sponsored data (SD) and Net Neutrality (NN) have something in common, it is very easy for the uninitiated to think that they are the same, whereas, as I've tried to explain above, their differences are quite stark and make all the difference. But in reading many journo's take on it like the one linked above, you could easily come away not recognizing the important difference, and if there is no difference, then you may be inclined to consider that NN has a stronger ethical argument (especially if you are of the kind of mind that thinks America's foreign policy is the great evil trying to enslave the world), like all left leaning Americans and sympathizers do . In short, we need true facts first to make good moral decisions.

Now that we know what the differences are, yes, bring on debate of the ethics of sponsored data. Firstly, we can leave NN at the door, as it doesn't belong in this room, as Free Basics as one example is a different topic.

But Nighthawk raises an extremely interesting point: what if Facebook takes up Freeway to get their Free Basics into markets where it has already been banned, or to other markets in general. This is a twist to the argument that would hit headlines on the NY Times. Imagine tomorrow if SYT's announcement was this: Syntonic signs Facebook to Host FreeBasic across SEA and Sth America. Well, we'd probably see 50 cents or more in a day. But could you imagine the headlines in the States; Facebook Back-Doors into Minds of the World's Poor! by offering it's 'banned' Freebasics with sponsored data hosted by Freeway.

I'm not too sure if this would be a good thing, at least short term term (apart from the immediate share price), as FreeBasics would still be what it is, a controversial form of 'controlled' internet. Personally, I have no problem with FB, but others do, and not all controversy should be courted so quickly if ill consequences can come from it.

Nighthawk reminds us that Tata of India is already buying into sponsored data, so we can only hope that the authorities there knno the difference between it and NN.

Yes, bring on the ethical debate, and the best place to start is to outline the significant difference that distinguishes SD from NN. After all, where does ethics get its amo from if not from the facts.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SYT (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.