I used Sulphur (90%) bentonite pastille last year and that made...

1. 59,167 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 727
    I used Sulphur (90%) bentonite pastille last year and that made a difference but obviously didn't use enough. I have a bit left but the Agi store I got it from doesn't seem to have it any more, lest not on their website and can't see were else to get it so will go with Ammonium Sulphate which I presume is same as Sulphate of ammonia. Probably need to treat a larger area around the base of the fruit trees, I'll do that in the near future before winter sets in

The bentonite (clay) is making a big difference in my raised garden bed even though it has not fully dissolved in the soil, the soil is holding moisture much better and I presume it will also hold nutrients better too.

I was obviously a bit naive when I started out and underestimating how poor the soil was, thinking with an abundance of water available from the bore the fruit trees would be fine. When I first noticed the yellowing leaves I though adding a layer of sheep poo as mulch along with trace elements would help but it didn't.

But when I read about lime-induced chlorosis it made sense

Coincidently at the time I read about how they were having issues with trees dying back at Kings park, turns out that many years ago they put additives to the bore water to remove the bore water leaving rust stains. Turns out that the tree where suffering from the lack of iron and had a similar problem that I had

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-20/chlorotic-decline-syndrome-kings-park-trees/102359094

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.