Go Tigers!!!, page-78

1. 1,709 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Contrary to what some might think I'm no fan of the modern-day Sydney Swans, but the same can't be said of the 1987 Sydney Swans who set the VFL alight with the most amazing three weeks of footy in the history of VFL/AFL football the likes of which had never been seen prior to the 1987 season and the likes of which haven't been seen since either, nor will they ever be seen again IMO. Under the legendary Tommy Hafey they set the competition on fire as follows with their winning margins in brackets:

19/7/87 Sydney 30.21.201 v WCE 10.11.71 (130)
    26/7/87 Sydney 36.20.236 v Essendon 11.7.73 (163)
    31/7/87 Sydney 31.12.198 v Richmond 15.17.107 (91)

In those three weeks the Sydney Swans recorded 150 scoring shots whilst conceding 71, scoring 635 points and conceding 251 points, and winning the three matches by a combined total of 384 points. Had they not been coming off a five day break in the game against the Tigers they would have registered 200+ points and a 100+ point victory which would have been the third match in succession they reached these achievements. These three weeks are my favourite VFL/AFL memory with daylight coming in second place.

Give me the 1987 Sydney Swans coached by the magnificent Tommy Hafey every day of the week compared to the Sydney Swans of the current day. A coach with real charisma and character and a legend of the game and a team full of entertainers to boot, the die-hard supporters that appeared week-in week-out behind the goals to the left of screen who were front and centre on our TV sets and of course all the glitz and glam of the doc - they were the days!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.