GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

The goldbug obsession with paper is a very unusual one....

1. 32,984 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1377
    The goldbug obsession with paper is a very unusual one. Apparently it's the cause of their losses, but I can't figure out why.
    If paper gold is declining it means that there's more negative bets than positive bets for gold.

What are gold mining shares? Paper? Of course they are. You guys don't own gold mines, the company does, and it's leveraged right? With paper.

On the CME there's plenty of ways to own or sell paper houses or property so if I can't afford a house and I think the price is going to rise, I can hedge the current price, based on the Case/Schiller Index. I can hedge a fall in my house price by purchasing home equity insurance, it's paper.

I own shares in Australian property, I don't own the property, the listed company does, it's paper property and the companies are leveraged, with paper.

Farmers hedge losses with paper soy beans or paper weather or paper cows. Paper orange juice prices hedge Florida orange growers against frosts.

Then 'paper gold' losses goldbugs bang on about are just an excuse for lousy investment performance and an inability to look in the mirror and say "it's my fault".

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.