Higher taxation & not Austerity, page-2

1. 30,924 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 174
    Mick, I think you'll find that the legislation is there for a) and b). Perhaps the will to enforce them is missing.

c), no. see later on.

d) agree absolutely. Unfortunately, as many pollies have them (they are so good people have more than one), you've got two chances of that happening!

e) as for d)

f) again, I think you'll find that the multi-nationals are in full accordance with the letter of the law. After all, they can afford the best accountants to ensure compliance.

Basically, you can't build wealth by taking money from a working organisation and giving it to a non-working one. If you increase the tax burden on businesses and wealthy individuals too much they will just leave the country entirely.

I'd favour a revamp of the system so that businesses, as a business, pay no tax. Taxes are only paid by individuals on salaries, dividends, benefits in kind and capital gains. That way businesses are encouraged to set up, knowing that working capital won't be depleted by taxes before they have got off the ground.

I'd like to see BIKs eliminated altogether, actually. Too many ways around things there. If you want something from the business, take it as salary of dividend.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.