I am the only certainty

1. 1,166 Posts.
    How can we be certain of anything? The whole world could be a projection of the Matrix, as per the "brain in a vat" philosophy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat

It would seem impossible to know anything for certain, and this would apply to all the material that is written in holy books.

What can be known for certain..... anything?

Descartes said: "We cannot doubt of our existence while we doubt … ." This statement should be self explanatory. If I doubt my existence, then who is doing the doubting? Me. I can't get past the fact that I exist. So if can be certain of anything at all in this universe, this surely must be it. A good starting point - "I am".

So......What is the "I"?

"I" is not the body, nor the mind, since I can observe both. Since I can observe them, they cannot simultaneously be me.

What is the "I"? What is this thing, the only thing that can be known for sure....and yet none of us knows it?

That's the question which (probably) underlies all the teachings of enlightened ones, from Jesus to Buddha and all the others who achieved the same non-state.
    Last edited by virtual: 23/07/14

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.