No , their business isn't likely to fail at all . As long as...

1. 35,627 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    No , their business isn't likely to fail at all . As long as they can recognise their role and get the right people around them they will be fine .

How many tradespeople have you met that are absolutely first class at their trade ? But can't run their business to save themselves . Can't manage money . But the are fantastic at their job .

I have plenty of experience working with engineers . While they are usually very good at their jobs , very few of them make good managers because they try and manage like an engineer.

I have met some great managers whose greatest skill was their people management . Quite often they didn't learn this . They just are naturally good at dealing with people . They are the ones that don't have to tell people what to do . They delegate and particulary delegate to other people's strengths which may vary . People like to work for them and they respect them . Those employees will go above and beyond without being asked .

I have worked with many small groups in remote locations . It is amazing the difference in output , number of accidents , number of sickies etc when people are happy at work . It is something that is easily measurable in those circumstances .
    However , swap one supervisor for another and it all can go to custard in a heartbeat .

People management is a skill and a valuable resource . It's only those people who are lacking in this area that don't recognise it .

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.