is my husband an alcoholic?

1. 662 Posts.
    OK, so this is an anonymous site so here goes:
    Is my husband an alcoholic?
    He is wonderful in every way, an attentive, caring, kind husband, a committed and involved father who loves and LIVES for his family - me and the children. I consider myself blessed to have married him and thank my lucky stars every day. He is fit and strong. He is self confident. Goes mountain bike riding with friends, and runs a bit. He is successful at work, we have many friends, he is universally considered a 'good bloke' by everyone who knows him, and is very well liked and respected. And rightly so..... I love him very much.

He drinks every night. And has done for the whole 13 years we have been married. He likes to think it is 'just a glass or two' of red wine, but honestly, it can often be a bottle (and occasionally more). And I mean EVERY night - I would estimate he has had about 14 drink free evenings in the whole of our marriage. He doesn't get drunk, and is just as pleasant as always.

Is he what's called a 'highly functioning alcoholic'?

I worry that he may be killing his liver, and by the time any symptoms show it will be too late....
    He does not think he has a problem.
    But nor will he stop, even for a week. He dismisses my concerns as unfounded, after all, he keeps fit, is successful at work etc etc etc.....

Does anyone have any experience around this?
    Am I worrying over nothing?
    Or am I rightly concerned for his health?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.