Is there a housing bubble that’s about to burst in Australia?, page-75

1. 35,331 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    Hi gottalove ,

Here's my 2 bob's worth . If you're property is 4 times worth what you've paid for it in 14 years , then it's probably run to hard . It's depends of course on where it is etc .

Either way , if property were to pull back , worst case scenario 30% , you are still miles and miles in front . Consider if you had been renting the same house for 14 years . What would your position be now ? Plus you have the benefit of it being your house . That is a very valuable aspect .

As you are paying your mortgage down , you are effectively getting whatever your mortgage rate is as a return on your money i.e. 5% . You would have to be getting 7, 8 , 9 % in the market to do better .

So , imo , you'd be better off plugging away at your mortgage and seeing what happens to the world economy . If you pay off that house and even if it does fall in value a bit , you still have a rent free house . That's a better position to be in than an awful lot of people in this country .

Betting against the market with such an important asset as a ppor is a foolish gamble in my view . Do you have another 14 years up your sleeve to get yourself into this position ?

Betting against the market is something you do with money that you can afford to lose . Betting the house isn't that type of money .

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.