this makes for interesting reading...

1. 17,459 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    this makes for interesting reading

https://arabcenterdc.org/resource/arab-states-have-supported-and-shunned-hamas-in-the-gaza-war/

I think the situation is complex. While Hamas may be a proxy for some Arab states it is not as straightforward as it may seem. It depends I guess on whether they think they can derive global power themselves from somewhere else but Palestine is only a part of their views of where they sit or want to sit in global affairs. But some have categorically repudiated violence and that means Hamas AND Israel. But they are also deeply concerned about Israel. So silence does not mean they support Israel or do not support Hamas.

there are attempts by Egypt and Saudi Arabia to manage a peace protest. But my view formed on reading is that these two at least are cautious about Hamas because of their goals.

in this mix is Russia and the shifting relationships that have come about because of the war in Ukraine. Israel criticism has caused a rift with Russia. Which has until now been “friendly” enough.

but then that made me think that while the violence been need out in Gaza is at least in general terms evident and unmistakably (in my mind) an excessive and poorly judged response, I would also expect that Russia is now playing its part in using social media and other methods - which are also being used by other parties to the war - to diminish Israel’s standing. No proof just following a standard pattern for them

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.