@TauriskMany years ago and after already some lessons, there was...

1. 8,058 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 835
    @Taurisk

Many years ago and after already some lessons, there was a chap I knew who played and 'taught' guitar and asked him whether he'd teach me (he was cheaper than the teacher I already had). After just a couple of 'lessons', this alternate teacher said to me 'you know more than I do' - so of course end of 'lessons'.

It turned out that my 'existing' teacher taught well and I was a reasonable reader of notation - many guitar players are notoriously bad at reading - many rely on 'ear' and even many teachers use what is known as tabulature (or tabs).

There are some things unique to the guitar - like 'D' tuning the bass E string and there are also alternate tunings for other open strings - just to make guitar complexities ever more complex. Then there is the capo which when used instantly changes key as it reduces the overall length of all strings at once thus raising each strings pitch concurrently. Fun and games for those so inclined.

Even the following interview from 1983 highlights the lack of reading skills of accomplished guitar performers such as Leo - self taught and learnt to read decades after playing - and playing he does so well - he apparently was even 'subjected' to learning to play the violin - obviously the guitar won:

One comment from after another video of Mr. Kottke's:

Saw Mr. Kottte in Sioux Falls, South Dakota in 1974, drove 48 miles in a blizzard, took us 2 1/2 hours. He walked out on stage and looked at the 350 of us that showed up out of a sold out 8,000 seat auditorium and said "Hell, I guess you guys are fans."

He set down on the edge of the stage and said I will play any request you have since it's just us. Played for 2 hours plus, shook every single persons hand that was there. What a guy. What a guitar player. What a Human.

Must have been some performance for the attendees.

As for the song in the video above - sure looks easy playing - I'll have it down pat by 2morrow - well, maybe the day after or by next week or?? eek.png smile.png

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.