none of us know for certain (beyond reasonable doubt) if rare...

1. 41,578 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642
    none of us know for certain (beyond reasonable doubt) if rare occurred on that night. imo J. Lee was correct to find it is likely on the "balance of probability" given the objective evidence available.

but we'll never be certain. therefore each is entitled to their own opinion. I agree with @bellcurve's post in that the case has damaged the sense of assuredness that any woman who alleges rape or other sexual assault will be heard impartially and given the 'safe' opportunity to make their allegation formal and go through with the trial process.

so too with the evidence given by the Lib Govt peoples' aggressive denials and obfuscations.

I agree with you that women should provide evidence and make reports within 24 hours of the assault. but we are dealing with fragile and vulnerable women, a natural post-trauma psychological reaction to such an abhorrent deeply violating assault. and with young women who are just learning how to negotiate sex with men the impact on the psyche is much more powerful.

its important to recognise the reality of the emotional confusion and distress that victims experience. I know from interview assessments I've done that men too suffer from the same response and very rarely make formal allegations to police.

I don't think theres really any political angle to this other than the fact that this occurred under the Lib Govt. we can discuss the reduced inhibition that resulted in the prayer room reports, we can include the reports of the Swinging Dick's club. there was clearly a lack of discipline in PH during that period. this may have encouraged some lecherous people to think they were safe to take their own decisions and take advantage of any perceived opportunity for a root regardless of consent.

its not political, but a reflection on the male dominated atmosphere of Govt offices at the time.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.