Here is the ABC article on the Foley drink-driving convictions....

1. 336 Posts.
    Here is the ABC article on the Foley drink-driving convictions.

NSW opposition Leader Luke Foley ashamed of drink-driving convictions

New South Wales Opposition Leader Luke Foley says he is ashamed of two previous drink-driving convictions but he wants voters to know about them before they head to the polls.

Mr Foley has admitted that he was caught for drink-driving when he was 23 years old and again in 2007 after a political dinner when he was working as a Labor party official.

He pleaded guilty to both offences.

"My drink-driving record is not something I'm proud of," Mr Foley said.

"In fact I'm ashamed of it. But I am disclosing this in the earliest days of my leadership because I do think it's important that I am honest with people.

"I think it's important that our political leaders are open with the public."

He said it was better that he revealed the convictions himself than having others discover it later.

"If I'd waited and down the track it had been revealed and I hadn't been honest with people you would rightly be getting stuck into me," he said.

Mr Foley said in both instances he had miscalculated how much he had had to drink and wrongly though he would be alright to drive.

But he said he had learned his lesson and now does not mix drinking alcohol with getting behind the wheel of the car.

Mr Foley said the two convictions and a speeding fine have been his only brushes with the law and he has no other skeletons in his closet to reveal.

"This is it," he said.

"I believe that this is the secret in my life that I had to be honest about and I am."

The NSW election is on Saturday, March 28.

While being grilled by journalists about his past, Mr Foley did admit to smoking marijuana in his younger days.

"Yes, I did inhale, but the physical act of smoking doesn't agree with me so the experimentation did not last," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-...e-foley-regrets-drink-driving-charges/6019008
    Last edited by jasonobrien1984: 15/01/15

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.