JRV 0.00% 1.4¢ jervois global limited

Hi @Deme, a very considered response as always.Just on the...

1. 4,892 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4959
    Hi @Deme, a very considered response as always.

Just on the balance sheet commentary. Personally I feel like 'balance sheet strength' is something that companies who generate their own balance sheet strength, but might be in a temporary spot of bother, get to boast about. If the balance sheet is made up of a) inventories purchased at the highs, now effectively 'stalled' for a period (because they can't/won't unwind it) and b) equity recently raised from investors, then it's a bit counter-intuitive to flag this as some sort of core strength: "we have a strong balance sheet, thanks to all the money many of you recently gave us". It's sort of like those penny-dreadfuls who boast in their quarterlies 'no debt' when in reality they'd never be able to access a sniff of debt funding, except for maybe a corporate credit card.

I am also uncertain how long that cash pile is realistically going to last, given current circumstances. If you look at just the past three quarters (since these were all in USD so there's no FX messing things up), on average, JRV burned almost USD$24.9M in operating cashflow each quarter. The trend is currently downwards (June: US$28.3M; Sept: US$26.5M; Dec: US$17.0M) however the reason for the drop in this last quarter was because their 'cost of finance paid' was down US$5M, yet we know these finance costs are not going to disappear given the current leverage. So let's assume they're going to go through at least US$20M in this current quarter. There's also between 15-25% cost blowout on ICO which is anywhere from US$16.1M to US$26.9M. Then they're drilling ICO and working on the Kokkola expansion and the SMP restart. I can't help but think back to Andrew from Shaw's asking Bryce last quarter if they'd bit off more than they could chew.

Certainly don't mean to be overly negative, but for me the cashflow here tells the immediate story. It's hard for me to get too excited about OEM's wanting product in Q1 2024 when there's a year to run, and a lot of cash needed to keep the business operating. Someone needs to light a rocket under the cobalt price. Yesterday one fundie asked the same question I was pondering: why has China's re-opening moved copper and tin materially, but not cobalt?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add JRV (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
1.4¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $37.83M
Open High Low Value Volume
1.5¢ 1.5¢ 1.4¢ $11.16K 773.5K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
21 11372705 1.4¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
1.5¢ 2284172 7
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 14/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
1.4¢
  Change
0.000 ( 3.45 %)
Open High Low Volume
1.5¢ 1.5¢ 1.4¢ 579484
Last updated 15.59pm 14/06/2024 ?
JRV (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.