Muscle cramps in legs

1. 29,752 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1452
    I have been having big problems of late with muscle cramps in my legs and it is seriously interrupting my sleep.

Hoping someone might have a few recommendations because I'm at the point where I think I'd try anything.

I'd describe myself as a fit healthy early 70 y.o. and the only medication I take is a very low dose tablet for high blood pressure.
    I did manage with minor dietary changes to halve then go off completely, that medication, but was put back on half dose by my doctor because it was border line.

My doctor is impressed with my diet because I have never eaten junk food and love fruit and vegetables and eat lots of them.

I do have regular check ups and blood tests and did mention it to her but it wasn't then the problem it now has become.

I told her that I take Bio Magnesium High Dose 1 per day with my evening meal and she OK'd that. That is the recommended dose on the bottle.
    Have even resorted to putting a couple of corks in my bed. An old wives tale I remembered from mum. Doesn't seem to help at the moment and they seem to be a bit of a nuisance in that they migrate around the bed somehow.

I went through something like this about a decade ago and put it down to too much gardening and too much time spent on ladders pruning or cleaning gutters. I did have things like wisteria and kiwi fruit that were both difficult to prune and wisteria was a constant job. It's a rapid grower. Muscles used doing those tasks are not the norm and I would always tense on a ladder.
    I have more brains at this age and no longer have those plants and pay someone else to go up a ladder for any pruning or gutter cleaning.

I'm rather hoping someone might have some sort of dietary recommendation.

The other thing I have tried is changing the types of footwear I get around in. I happily live in rubber thongs around the house but do change into Birkenstock or other sandals for street wear.

I have every confidence in my doctor and when I first sought an appointment I was asked did I have a preference of doctors in the clinic. I jokingly said I'd like the smartest and best irrespective of male or female.
    I have noticed the top marks small trophy she has in her room so she is no fool and seems mega thorough to me.

Hoping for suggestions otherwise it's back to the doctor for me because lack of sleep is also not good.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.