New Senate Rules

1. 9,042 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 17129
    Through my posts of the last few weeks I have said that the New Senate Rules would mean we would get more independents in the Senate, particularly if people voting above the line deliberately excluded the ALP, LNP and Greens from their preferences.  Given the total distrust in the electorate with the LNP my view is that the LNP may hold its Senate numbers but more than likely lose Senators.  The attached article from The West Australian should be of interest to many of you because in essence it suggests that minor parties can increase their Senate seats through the way votes get exhausted in the Seante.  Anyone hopinf for the budget to be balanced anytime soon is unlikely to get that wish, given the policies of both the ALP and LNP, but more importantly the likelihood that budget measures targeting spending (without consequent revenue measures, are unlikely to get up).  Just my opinion.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/31808759/new-senate-ballot-rules-mean-new-election-games/

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.