Enoch Powell's 'Rivers of Blood' speech [MEDIA] Published on Mar...

1. 7,659 Posts.
    Enoch Powell's 'Rivers of Blood' speech

Published on Mar 30, 2017
    John Enoch Powell, MBE (16 June 1912 – 8 February 1998), best known as Enoch Powell, was a British politician, classical scholar, philologist and poet. He served as a Conservative Member of Parliament (MP, 1950–74), Ulster Unionist Party (UUP) MP (1974–87), and Minister of Health (1960–63).

Before entering politics, Powell was a classical scholar, becoming a full professor of ancient Greek at the age of 25. During the Second World War, he served in both staff and intelligence positions, reaching the rank of brigadier in his early thirties. He also wrote poetry, his first works being published in 1937, as well as many books on classical and political subjects.

Enoch Powell's 20 April 1968 address to the General Meeting of the West Midlands Area Conservative Political Centre (commonly called "Rivers of Blood") was a speech criticising Commonwealth immigration to the United Kingdom and the then-proposed Race Relations Bill. Enoch Powell (1912–1998) was the Conservative Member of Parliament for Wolverhampton South West. He referred to the speech as "the Birmingham speech" but it is otherwise known as the "Rivers of Blood" speech, a title derived from its allusion to a line from Virgil's Aeneid.[1] The phrase "rivers of blood" does not appear in the speech; the name alludes to the line, "As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see 'the River Tiber foaming with much blood.'"

Social engineers have gone completely mad, this madness must be stopped, do not vote for pro high immigration political parties!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.