Nova Peris misses out on job as AFL's head of diversity

1. 33,065 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 9
    I don't think she is qualified for the job. Senators can just vote and get paid . Justin Mohamed ?? I wonder if ??

Nova Peris misses out on job as AFL's head of diversity, sources say

Exclusive by political reporter Caitlyn Gribbin
    Updated about 3 hours ago

PHOTO: Nova Peris has been contacted for comment (ABC News: Melanie Dove)
    RELATED STORY: Nova Peris breaks down while defending decision to quit
    RELATED STORY: Shorten won't rule out Nova Peris move to AFL
    MAP: NT
    Retiring Labor senator Nova Peris will not fill the role of the AFL's head of diversity, despite speculation she was the frontrunner to take up the league's top Indigenous job.
    Key points:

• AFL will announce new head of diversity today
    • Reports Reconciliation Australia chief executive Justin Mohamed top contender
    • Peris announced last month she would quit politics
    The AFL will today announce its new head of diversity — a role left vacant when Jason Mifsud took up a position with the Victorian Government early this year.

Multiple sources have told the ABC Senator Peris has not been appointed to the senior position, despite reports she was seeking the job when she announced last month she would not recontest her Northern Territory Senate seat.

Senator Peris and the AFL have been contacted for comment.

Previous reports have suggested the chief executive of Reconciliation Australia, Justin Mohamed, is also a contender for the job with the AFL.

At the time of Senator Peris' announcement she was quitting politics,Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten did not rule out she had made the decision to pursue a career with the AFL.

Senator Peris last month made a passionate speech defending her decision not to recontest her seat.

"Three years ago I walked into Parliament as the first Aboriginal woman," she told reporters.

"Until you are an Indigenous person, do not criticise me for the decisions I've made."

VIDEO: Nova Peris: "No-one should judge me" (ABC News)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-22/nova-peris-not-getting-role-at-afl-sources-tell-abc/7531442

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.