My goodness you seem very confident in yourself there mate....

1. 17,183 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 316
    My goodness you seem very confident in yourself there mate. Please tell me what else I have not done in my life. And thank you for the summary of what happened in Northern Ireland. Which text book did you get that out of?? What family members do you have that were caught right in the heart of Ballymurphy?? Fathers who were distraught for the safety of their wives and daughters, young men who wanted no part of the IRA or the troubles but were shot up with some of their mates being killed as they did their daily work just because they were Catholic, young men shot dead in the street for no other reason than they were wearing a Celtic jumper.....

I am more than aware of the plight of Catholics as second class citizens and how they felt pushed into a corner and how for many a violent response seemed like the only answer. But this does not detract from the fact that there were decent working class salt of the earth Catholic families who wanted NO part of it but had no choice other than to be sucked into the cycle of violence.....and as for your ideal of the population supporting the IRA you are talking through your backside. Some did for sure but in the end the IRA became just a bunch of bully thugs and there were those who supported them only for fear of the consequences if they didn't. And that, my knowledgeable friend, I can tell you for a fact.

Furthermore if we are not careful the same will happen in this country. Some neo nazi bogans blow up a 4x4 outside a mosque and paint hate slogans while even more redneck bogans cheer them on on social media. Most decent peace loving Muslims are horrified but some bogan Muslims decide they will repay the act with interest and blow up a church with people in it....people who had nothing to do with the first attack. So an army of white bogans rise up to pay that act back ten fold......and so it goes.

What you should do is stop listening to lunatics like Donald Trump and the ALA. Maybe you would do well to recall the words of Martin Luther King if an inspirational leader is what you are looking for:

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes.
    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.