FMG 0.82% $26.77 fortescue ltd

Cheers Wes! Glad to contribute in some small way.You wrote;Will...

1. 10,691 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1187
    Cheers Wes! Glad to contribute in some small way.

You wrote;

Will economies of scale of hydrogen production render gas obslete incorporating cost relativities by the end of this decade?

For the price of green hydrogen to fall it needs significant scale-up but it will also need supportive tangible policies with specific targets to achieve this. I believe the demand is there, but there needs to be government policy in place, incentives and significant investment such as what we're seeing in China at present (close to US$1 trillion spent in FY23). Just look at what Fortescue/OCP Morocco have planned. This is going to require massive capital a total of approx $100bn plus is what was mentioned in that presentation. Of course it won't be done all at once, but you can see what's potentially taking place. Government private/public JV's is what's going to turn this on its head imv. I think we're going to see more of these kinds of partnerships in this space.

And on Fortescue's website. They have a clear focused plan in place and many of their targets are getting ticked off and in record time.

By 2030, decarbonisation will allow us to save over 700 million litres of diesel, and 15 million GJ of gas and avoid 3 million tonnes of CO2 equivalent emissions each year. This will generate significant cost savings for our business – for example in FY23, we spent over US$560 million on diesel and gas. We have already stopped buying voluntary carbon offsets which have been shown to be troubled by extensive concerns about quality and an ability to achieve a real reduction in emissions. Further details on our we are eliminating emissions are outlined in our annual Climate Change Report.

https://fortescue.com/about-fortescue/realzero

You wrote;

Any guesstimates on timelines?

My thinking is it needs to happen this side of the end of the decade. I believe we're already seeing scale up in some applications taking shape. More work to do sure, but I'm watching this space very attentively.

Tony

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$26.77
Change
-0.220(0.82%)
Mkt cap ! $82.42B
Open High Low Value Volume
$26.70 $26.82 $26.48 $81.59M 3.059M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 1694 $26.76

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$26.77 15336 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 24/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$26.79
  Change
-0.220 ( 0.59 %)
Open High Low Volume
$26.70 $26.81 $26.48 685458
Last updated 15.59pm 24/05/2024 ?
FMG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.